Lenovo Thinkpad X200 (Arbopeep)
This IBM Thinkpad model is powerful, yet at 2.8 pounds, this computer is a light weight portable computer. It is small enough to fit nicely on an airline tray table. IBM Thinkpads are top quality laptop computers. The standard XGA screen is the best in the class. The ArcaOS installation provides as complete support as possible on a modern laptop.
This laptop computer is configured to boot ArcaOS. No other operating system is installed, nor are instructions provided to install one without harming the ArcaOS installation. The ArcaOS installation provides as complete OS/2 support as possible on a modern laptop.
Arbopeep was tested with a docking station. The docking station has already been sold.
This section documents what I did to get this computer to work under ArcaOS. It is intended to show what goes into this computer, and also as a guide to the user who wants to build it himself.
When I received the laptop, the installed BIOS was 2.04 and the EC was 1.04. The current BIOS is 3.22 and EC is 1.07. I updated the BIOS to 3.22 and the EC to 1.07 by using the BIOS update CD. The video displays on an external monitor without issues. I made sure that BIOS is set to Power->Battery->Maximum Performance, and that BIOS Intel SpeedStep is enabled. Then I powered the Thinkpad down and up.
I installed a new 1 TB hybrid hard disk and changed the BIOS to use AHCI. I booted from ArcaOS installation DVD. When the installer was Getting Disk information, no partition table wasfound. The installer offered to fix problems. When it did, it then rebooted the computer. After the reboot, the disk was recognized with 953,855 MB. I then created and formatted drives K: and D:, restart installer and proceed with the installation.
I installed one bootable volume, K:. This installation is for a client only, but SAMBA server is also included to permit file sharing. Arca Noae SNAP graphics are also installed.
DOS Window needs fixup. Added /int10textgrfxsafe to the line that loads VSVGA.SYS Also added mode co80; cls to autoexec.bat, now DOS Window works.
Using Suntan Special, I define an installation sequence that includes GenMac, GenMU, XWLAN, dhclient and wpa supplicant to provide full support for the WiFi card. The entire suite of Arca Noae drivers is installed with the operating system; only ACPI and FAT32 needed updates beyond that. After that I run Suntan Special sequences ArcaOS50, apps, games and cleanup. This is saved as the Factory image. This is normally what would be supplied on the computer.
The Thinkpad X200 WiFi is already the Intel 5100 mini-PCIe card. No other standard Lenovo card will work. Furthermore, the card must be Lenovo-approved or the Thinkpad will make an error on power on.
The driver for the Intel 5100 WiFi card is from the GenMU unsupported collection. It works, but sometimes it will drop the connection. There are some special requirements for radio operation. Occasionally, the thinkpad will throw trap 0008.
BIOS has to be set to provide 100 percent power during battery operation. Speedstep must be enabled. The radio must be deactivated on startup by XWLAN, then started by enabling the radio from the XWLAN menu. The SSID appears to be required in the profile.
To use the WiFi, edit the XWLAN settings to deactivate the radio on startup. Using the switch on the front of the laptop, start the laptop with the radio on. Once booted, switch the radio off, then on again. Go to the XWLAN widget, and turn the radio on.
The computer is set up to connect via ethernet cable or WiFi. Both interfaces have been set up to configure automatically.
The USB 2.0 ports support keyboards, mice, scanners, thumb drives, cameras, MP3 players, external hard drives, floppies and CD Writers.
Arbopeep is configured to use a DVD Multi-burner in a dock. To use a USB DVD-RW, RSJ CD-Writer is required.
This laptop has a single PC Card slot, which supports OS/2 compatible PC Cards. I have not installed PC Card support, however. I no longer have PC Cards to adequately test PC Card support.
This laptop boots to the desktop in under 60 seconds. That's important, because suspend/resume does not work. To make up for that, the laptop does a clean power down when the lid is closed.
There is no ArcaOS support for the modem, bluetooth or fingerprint reader.
PC Card Support does not work for CF card readers.
- Operating system: ArcaOS 5.0.3.
- Suntan Special is included with each computer. All applications that are pre-installed by Blonde Guy can be kept up to date using Suntan Special.
- Apache OpenOffice is installed. OpenOffice has good compatibility with Microsoft Office documents.
- The ePDF software has been installed to allow the creation of PDF output from any OS/2 application. Speaking of PDF, QPDFView, Lucide, GSView and GhostScript are installed.
- Computer maintenance programs include Suntan Special, a trial version of DFSee, Sysbench to measure the speed of the computer, PCI to scan the system hardware and SystemInfo to view the entire computer configuration.
- RPM/YUM, a software configuration framework, is installed. Suntan Special acts as a layer over RPM/YUM to replace the detailed knowledge of how to install and configure software using YUM with pre-packaged application installations.
- The FAT32 file system is installed.
- Firefox and Seamonkey web browsers are installed. For the Mozilla family browsers, the Flash plugin is installed, but off by default. Qupzilla web browser, based on Qt and the Apple Web Kit is also installed.
- Thunderbird and PMMail and are installed to provide a choice of e-mail client program.
- Java (OpenJDK 6.00) is installed. The browser support (Iced Tea) is not installed.
- VLC media player is installed to play back most video file types and some commercial DVDs.
- DVD Toys is installed to provide DVD and CD writing for an optical drive mounted in the dock. USB DVD and CD writing is supported by RSJ CD-Writer, which is not installed.
- PM123 music players are provided to support music needs. The CD Player is correctly configured to play music CDs. Generic MP3 players that connect via USB are supported.
- Cameraderie provides support for digital cameras.
- I use rsync, which is a mirroring program, to keep several copies of my data drive. The rsync program copies only files that have changed, added or removed when it updates a copy of the data drive.
- 4os2 provides an alternative to the OS/2 command prompt with more features.
- A number of fonts are added. Thanks to Alex Taylor for developing some OS/2 specific fonts. Liberation and Deja Vu fonts are also added to support some programs.
- VNC server and client are installed for remote desktop and file transfer capability.
I use Suntan Special to install the software on all Blonde Guy computers. Suntan Special software can be used to install all updates to the system and its applications and to install additional applications. When newer versions of software are released, Suntan Special can keep your Blonde Guy computer up to date.
Recovery USB stick
The recovery USB stick supplied is a bootable ArcaOS USB stick with a backup of the hard drive as delivered. You can boot the machine from uSB stick, and perform maintenance functions. The factory backup is stored in the \Factory directory. The backups are simple zip files. You can use unzip to extract some or all of the files in a backup.
DFSee is a generic disk, partition and filesystem utility for maintenance and data-recovery. It supports partition tables (FDISK, LVM), FAT, FAT32, HPFS, NTFS, and partly JFS, EXT2/3 or REISER filesystems. DFSee is commercial software which requires a license key for continued use.
- Model name: Lenovo Thinkpad X200
- CPU: Intel P8700(2.53GHz)
- RAM: 4 GB Memory
- Disk Drive: Toshiba 1 TB hybrid drive
- 12.1 inch Color LCD screen with WXGA resolution (1280 x 800 pixels)
- Intel Pro/1000 PL 10/100/1000 network adapter using E1000E driver
- Intel 5100 802.11agn wireless network adapter using GenMac driver and XWLAN
- Intel audio with line out and line in using UniAud driver
- 3 USB 2.0 ports using IBM USB drivers
- 9 cell Lithium Ion battery
- AC Power adapter
- Restore USB stick with network support.
Height: 0.8 inch
Width: 11.6 inches
Depth: 9.2 inches
Weight: 3 lbs 10 oz (2 lbs 7 oz with 4-cell battery)
Power consumption is 16 Watts, measured with the computer booted to the desktop. This computer consumes less than 1 Watt if it's plugged in, but switched off. When charging a depleted battery, it consumes up to 45 Watts.
Front and Left
The disk is partitioned into ArcaOS installer and ArcaOS volumes. You can use the ArcaOS volume (K:) as is, or you can create your own ArcaOS volume out of the free space.
This is the layout for a Toshiba Hybrid 1 TB hard drive.
|Volume Name||Disk Format||Drive Letter||Volume Size||Disk Name|
|ArcaOS inst||FAT16||C:||1,786 MB||Toshiba Hybrid 1 TB|
|ArcaOS data||JFS||D:||20,002 MB||Toshiba Hybrid 1 TB|
|ArcaOS-K||JFS||K:||20,002 MB||Toshiba Hybrid 1 TB|
|free space||N/A||N/A||913,846 MB||Toshiba Hybrid 1 TB|
ArcaOS 5.0.3 was used for this installation.
This table reports the SysBench 0.9.5 benchmarks for this computer. You can download SysBench 0.9.5 here: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/
|CPU floating point-marks||405|
To buy this computer, fill out an order form and submit it to Blonde Guy. Blonde Guy will review your order and send you an invoice, payable using PayPal or any major credit card. If you prefer to pay by check, note that in the notes field of the order form, and I will e-mail you an invoice payable by check.
If you have questions, you may enter them in the notes portion of the order form. The final price of the computer depends on tax, shipping and options.
On the order form, choose the appropriate ArcaOS license. For a business, the commercial license is required, otherwise a personal license is fine. The personal license comes with a 6-month subscription for support and maintenance. The commercial license comes with a 12-month subscription.
Graphics by Colorful Language
Copyright 2018 by Blonde Guy