Desktop computer (Brubopeep)
This refurbished desktop computer is compatible with ArcaOS. It features an Intel i7 quad-core processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive and a DVD-Writer.
This section documents what I did to get this computer to work under ArcaOS. It is intended to show what goes into this computer, and also as a guide to the user who wants to build it himself.
I ordered the computer from e-Bay. and a 2 TB hard drive upgrade from NewEgg. The new drive, a Toshiba, did not work well until I turned on Native Command Queueing in the AHCI driver.
BaseDev=OS2AHCI.ADD /N /F /V:2
The fan sounds bad. I need to see about a new fan. It turns out to be the front case fan. A new fan was ordered from eBay. It didn't fit. A second fan did fit, and noise is greatly reduced.
The DVD-RW drive was faulty and a new one ordered from NewEgg has been installed.
Optional PS/2 ports
The computer has the capability to run PS/2 ports. I have added an internal extension cable (part number 43N9149) to the Lenovo M93p computer. This part is available as an extra cost option.
With eBay systems, it's best to do a throrough wipe of the hard disk before beginning. OS/2 and therefore ArcaOS, is very picky about drive geometry. A disk laid out by any other operating system will likely not work under OS/2.
When preparing a hard drive of over 500 GB, I needed to change the geometry, wipe the hard drive, and reboot. This can be done automatically by running Disk Utility from the ArcaOS installation DVD. Then I could lay out the whole hard drive as documented below.
Hopefully nothing much in this section. Disk driver is OS2AHCI. UniAud works with /A:1. Hyperthreading must be turned off in BIOS. I used Panorama. DOS Window does not work, even after /int10textgrfxsafe. DOS Full Screen works.
Using Suntan Special, I run Suntan Special sequences ArcaOS50, apps, games and cleanup. This is saved as the Factory image. This is normally what would be supplied on the computer.
To make the bootable recovery DVD, the operating system image is used. The recovery DVD is a work in progress; refer to the readme to restore disk images.
The computer is set up to connect via ethernet cable. The network interface has been set up to configure automatically.
The USB 2.0 ports support keyboards, mice, scanners, thumb drives, cameras, MP3 players, external hard drives, floppies and CD Writers.
The DVD drive can read and write DVD and CD media.
- Operating system: ArcaOS 5.03.
- Suntan Special is included with each computer. All applications that are pre-installed by Blonde Guy can be kept up to date using Suntan Special.
- Apache OpenOffice is installed. OpenOffice has good compatibility with Microsoft Office documents.
- QPDFView and Lucide are installed.
- Computer maintenance programs include Suntan Special, a trial version of DFSee, Sysbench to measure the speed of the computer, PCI to scan the system hardware and SystemInfo to view the entire computer configuration.
- RPM/YUM, a software configuration framework, is installed. Suntan Special acts as a layer over RPM/YUM to replace the detailed knowledge of how to install and configure software using YUM with pre-packaged application installations.
- The FAT32 file system is installed.
- Firefox and Seamonkey web browsers are installed. Qupzilla web browser, based on Qt and the Apple Web Kit is also installed.
- Thunderbird and PMMail are installed to provide a choice of e-mail client program.
- Java (OpenJDK 6.00) is installed. The browser support (Iced Tea) is not installed.
- VLC media player is installed to play back most video file types and some commercial DVDs.
- DVDToys is installed to provide DVD and CD writing.
- PM123 music players are provided to support music needs. The CD Player is correctly configured to play music CDs. Generic MP3 players that connect via USB are supported.
- Cameraderie provides support for digital cameras.
- I use rsync, which is a mirroring program, to keep several copies of my data drive. The rsync program copies only files that have changed, added or removed when it updates a copy of the data drive.
- 4os2 provides an alternative to the OS/2 command prompt with more features.
- A number of fonts are added. Thanks to Alex Taylor for developing some OS/2 specific fonts. Liberation and Deja Vu fonts are also added to support some programs.
- Also asscoedit, VNC and PMWipe are installed.
- Arca Noae Package Manager is installed to manage RPM/YUM
I use Suntan Special to install the software on all Blonde Guy computers. Suntan Special software can be used to install all updates to the system and its applications and to install additional applications. When newer versions of software are released, Suntan Special can keep your Blonde Guy computer up to date.
Suntan Special was used to bring the system up to date on Aug 23, 2018.
The recovery DVD supplied is a bootable eComStation DVD with a backup of the hard drive as delivered. You can boot the machine from DVD, and perform maintenance functions. The maintenance folder is available on the recovery DVD. The factory backup is stored in the \image\Factory directory. The backups are simple zip files. You can use unzip to extract some or all of the files in a backup.
DFSee is a generic disk, partition and filesystem utility for maintenance and data-recovery. It supports partition tables (FDISK, LVM), FAT, FAT32, HPFS, NTFS, and partly JFS, EXT2/3 or REISER filesystems. DFSee is commercial software which requires a license key for continued use.
- Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p Desktop 10A90014US
- Boot Manager: Air-Boot
- Hostname: brubopeep
- status: in stock
- CPU: Intel(R) core (TM) i7-4770 CPU 3.7 GHz
- RAM: 4.0 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3
- Disk Drive: 500 GB 3.5 inch disk drive
- Optional Disk Drive: 2000 GB 3.5 inch disk drive
- LG Internal 24x Super-Multi
- Intel Gigabit Ethernet using MultiMac32-E1000E driver
- Intel audio with line out and line in using UniAud driver
- 10 USB 2.0 ports (4 front, 6 back)
- Bootable Recovery DVD
- VGA port, DisplayPort
- 2 serial ports
- parallel port
- optional PS/2 ports
- 1 PCI, 2 PCIe-1, 1 PCIe-16 half height slots
Height: 14.8 inches
Width: 4.0 inches
Depth: 13.3 inches
Weight: 17.2 lbs
Power consumption is 26 Watts, measured with the computer is booted to the desktop and idle. In use, with all 4 cores at 100% the computer can consume about 70 watts. This computer consumes less than 1 Watt if it's plugged in, but switched off.
Interior shot with tool-free drive bays.
The disk is partitioned to provide ArcaOS, spare partitions for future use and data drive.
This is the layout for the 160 GB HD. The Air-Boot boot manager is installed to select the volume to be started.
|Volume Name||Disk Format||Drive Letter||Volume Size||Disk Name|
|ArcaOS-K||JFS||K:||10,003 MB||160 GB SATA|
|spare 1||JFS||--||10,003 MB||160 GB SATA|
|spare 2||JFS||--||10,003 MB||160 GB SATA|
|Data||JFS||D:||122,604 MB||160 GB SATA|
This table reports the SysBench 0.9.5 benchmarks for this computer. You can download SysBench 0.9.5 here: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/
|CPU floating point-marks||1457|
To buy this computer, use the order button below. Be prepared to enter any special notes about your needs or customization for the computer. Blonde Guy will review your order and send you an invoice, payable using PayPal or any major credit card. If you prefer to pay by check, note that in the notes field of the order form, and I will e-mail you an invoice payable by check.
If you have questions, you may enter them in the notes portion of the order form.
The final price of the computer depends on tax, shipping and options. Shipping outside the USA is available, but it is costly.
Graphics by Colorful Language
Copyright 2018 by Blonde Guy